Poly student commits suicide after losing money to gambling
Poly student commits suicide after losing money to gambling
Poly student commits suicide after losing money to gambling

Samuel Adegoke, a student at the Federal Polytechnic in Ilaro, Ogun State, apparently committed himself by ingesting a substance thought to be an insecticide after allegedly losing his friend's and his own school expenses in an online bet.

Adegoke, an Electrical Electronic Engineering National Diploma II student, reportedly committed suicide on Monday while his classmates were getting ready for the first-semester exam.

It was gathered that the deceased used his school fee for online betting on Friday and lost.

He allegedly also deceived his roommate to get his password, access his bank’s mobile app and used the money meant for his (roommate’s) school fees to play and also lost.

The school’s Deputy Registrar, Public Relations, Sola Abiala, confirmed the development on Wednesday.

Abiala said, “The Rector said he was called from the school clinic that one of the students was sick. Adegoke Samuel, ND 2 Electrical Electronic Engineering, was later referred to a specialist hospital. When they got there, they got the information that he used his school fees to bet and lost. He also used his roommate’s school fees to bet and also lost.

“We have a policy here that any student that does not pay school fees will not sit for examination. He realized that he and his friend would not sit for the examination, and that was why he committed suicide.

“We sent for his parents and briefed them. His father told us that his late son did the same thing last session and he had to send money to him to pay the fees. He said if he had known about the latest one, he would have paid for it.”

Abiala added that when asked to take possession of the corpse, the father rejected it and said he could not take his son’s corpse back home, asking the school authorities to bury him.

 The Polytechnic Student s’ Union President, Thanni Abdullahi, also confirmed the incident to one of our correspondents on Wednesday.

Abdullahi regretted that efforts made to save the deceased did not yield results.

He said, “What happened was that on Monday, the deceased and his friends, one of whom is his roommate, were returning from night class when the dad of one of the friends sent him his school fees. So, the friend showed the deceased the alert on his phone.

“The friend told the deceased to call his dad too for his school fee. So, the deceased collected the friend’s phone, claiming he wanted to check something.


“After collecting the phone, he accessed the friend’s bank account, and he transferred the money meant for the guy’s school fee.”



0 comment

Write the first comment for this!